Friday, March 9, 2012

The Old Man And The Sea Analysis Essay

In the story The Old  Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway I Think Its a good decision  that Santiago became a fishermen.  In the book it shows how he would not be good at Any thing except fishing.

My first quote is: “Fish ,you are going to have to die anyway”(94). Santiago said this as he struggled to catch the fish.It is clear that Santiago is mentally and physically drained .This means that if you have to give your life  why not do it fishing. This proves how much it really means to him.Most people in their twenty's would not even do this work  that is this hard, and he is also an old man. He has a strong  opinion on why fishing is so important and that's why he would give his own life. It also proves what fishing really means to Santiago.

This shows how Santiago is determined: “But remember how you went eighty-seven days without fish and then we caught big ones every day for three weeks”(10). The boy says this to Santiago reassure that is good at fishing. I think this proves he will wait very long to catch a fish because if that was me I would  have given up  after a day.One other  thing this proves about him is he Strong  willed  to keep trying. Even  though people don't believe in him  because he is made fun of by the younger  fisherman.

To be a fishermen you have to be brave “The shark came in a rush and the old man hit him as he shut his jaws”(114).I think this shows how he is such a brave man, he is crazy to fight a shark. I have never heard of anyone trying to fight a shark. If that was me I would have got my you know what out of their, I know that was the right thing to do but I would never try to get a shark mad but if your mess with Santiago you in trouble.

Santiago is a very strong  man and  he has to be for fishing “He took all his pain and what was left of his strength and his long gone pride and he put it against the fish...” (93). I think this quote is significant because he is fighting the fish. This quote provides the reader with a power full message  that fishing  is not just physical it is also mental.Santiago is a man who has devoted his life to fishing and he put everything into fishing.

The four quotes prove why Santiago needed to become a fishermen. He has devoted his whole life to fishing which has made him a successful fisherman.  Although he did not catch the one that counted he still put his heart into fishing and that makes a person successful
   




   

No comments:

Post a Comment